JohnMitchell

elitist view on firearms

Just watched the classic "DEA shoots himself in the leg" on youtube again yesterday, this time at the DZ with a bunch of jumpers. Listening to the guy brag about how he was the only one smart enough to handle a "Glock 40", right before the AD into his leg, made me realize this. So many of the liberals have been brainwashed that firearms are mysterious, dangerous things, that only a chosen few can use. This is one of many reasons why they continue to want to put all power into the hands of their protectors. Idiotic tough guys, lecturing kids, perpetuate this myth, and cause more harm than good by making firearms such a mysterious, tempting thing.

I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better. Make it a required class, and that will take the thrill out of it for almost all kids. My children all learned firearm use at an early age, and with the exception of an occasional trip to the range with mom and dad, or the occasional hunting trip, are pretty bored with it all. Never once did I stand up and tell them they weren't smart enough to handle a firearm. I simply told them how to do it safely.B|

Just watched the classic "DEA shoots himself in the leg" on youtube again yesterday, this time at the DZ with a bunch of jumpers. Listening to the guy brag about how he was the only one smart enough to handle a "Glock 40", right before the AD into his leg, made me realize this. So many of the liberals have been brainwashed that firearms are mysterious, dangerous things, that only a chosen few can use. This is one of many reasons why they continue to want to put all power into the hands of their protectors. Idiotic tough guys, lecturing kids, perpetuate this myth, and cause more harm than good by making firearms such a mysterious, tempting thing.

I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better. Make it a required class, and that will take the thrill out of it for almost all kids. My children all learned firearm use at an early age, and with the exception of an occasional trip to the range with mom and dad, or the occasional hunting trip, are pretty bored with it all. Never once did I stand up and tell them they weren't smart enough to handle a firearm. I simply told them how to do it safely.B|

Well stated! Great idea! :)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Tom Aiello and I were talking about this in another thread. I'm sure the NRA would be very willing to help.

With rights, comes power. With power, comes responsibility.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better. Make it a required class, and that will take the thrill out of it for almost all kids.

We had to take a mandatory hunter safety course when I was in eighth grade. We didn't handle any firearms, but the class was still very practical. I learned a lot more about various types of guns in that class than during my time in the Army/Army Reserves. I had been shooting for several years by the time I took the hunter safety course.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Tom Aiello and I were talking about this in another thread. I'm sure the NRA would be very willing to help.

Would be nice, but I'm not anywhere nearly as sure as you are they'd do it.

With rights, comes power. With power, comes responsibility.

Yay, Spiderman!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Considering that most states can't fund drivers' ed, how exactly would you pay for this?

Ours was incorporated into the Physical Education curriculum for the year, and taught by the PE teacher.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better.

Can we do that without the DEA instructor though?

No kidding.:D

NRA already has the Eddie the Eagle program, which teaches kids to leave guns alone, leave the area, and tell an adult. I would certainly volunteer several hours a week to teach gun safety to kids. Using dummy firearms, I could teach a fairly good, basic class in 30 minutes, including hands-on time. With permission slips from the parents, maybe even a little range time in the evening with .22 rifles.B|

>I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better.

I don't remember any of us or instructors shooting our selves when we learned how to shoot as elementary school students in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

Basics like all guns are always loaded, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy, and be sure of your target really go a long ways towards preventing negligent discharges.

Considering that most states can't fund drivers' ed, how exactly would you pay for this?

Drivers ed may be nothing compared to this

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/nation/story/69467.html
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It's funny how the same people that are so quick to point out that 'abstinence pledges' are having no effect on teen pregnancy seem to think that the functional equivalent, in regards to firearms, *will* work.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

seriously?? I'm not sure whether funding is ever the issue - it's a matter of priority.. The school boards will threaten to cut the low budget music and arts programs if annual budget increases don't get passed, but NEVER the cost intensive football team etc etc...Not that I am anti-sport, I think there's a great need for that, but sometimes it seems that some of the programs take a bigger chunk than would seem fair out of budgets at the expense of other worthwhile programs.

It's funny how the same people that are so quick to point out that 'abstinence pledges' are having no effect on teen pregnancy seem to think that the functional equivalent, in regards to firearms, *will* work.

Absolutely. Accidental discharges have caused problems in more than one field.:P

Can you imagine some guy in front of a class saying "Now I'm the only guy smart enough in this room to have sex.":D:D

>I don't remember any of us or instructors shooting our selves when
>we learned how to shoot as elementary school students in Cub Scouts and
>Boy Scouts.

Perhaps the absence of government officials was the key there!

I've trained Cub Scouts when our son was in the pack. Valinda, I, and a couple of other instructors spent a few hours at the range with .22 rifles, letting the cubs shoot. Nice and safe, and everyone had a good time. It was funny that some of the moms took their turns shooting, but a few were just plain phobic about touching a firearm. :D

Absolutely. Accidental discharges have caused problems in more than one field.:P

Can you imagine some guy in front of a class saying "Now I'm the only guy smart enough in this room to have sex.":D:D

Lots of "The Only Ones" snark on David Codrea's website
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is my rifle
This is my gun
this is for fighting
this is for fun!;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'm calling for mandatory firearm training in all schools, the younger, the better. Make it a required class, and that will take the thrill out of it for almost all kids.

Driver's Ed is mandatory (in some form, no longer offered by many high schools), yet that didn't make driving any less cool. People here aren't shooting 200-1000 rounds a session just for safety reasons - they're doing it because it's fun. Same with drinking.

Education just mitigates many of the consequences from playing with cool, but dangerous shit.

The NRA does not have great resources in terms of $$ to educate every school. They do have the ability to provide materials, and have for a long time. Could probably provide volunteers for the community to do presentations.

Ultimately, if you want it taught in the schools, it needs to be added to something: PE (fewer are getting this, why we're getting fatter), driver's ed (I got a lot of career training here, but again, disappearing), social studies (lol - my teachers were all leftists), NRA club (ROTFLMAO)...it gets ugly in a hurry.

If a region is hostile to it, like SF who banned and is now about to unban ROTC, it's hard to implement. Maybe it's a subject best left to the parents.

seriously?? I'm not sure whether funding is ever the issue - it's a matter of priority.. The school boards will threaten to cut the low budget music and arts programs if annual budget increases don't get passed, but NEVER the cost intensive football team etc etc...Not that I am anti-sport, I think there's a great need for that, but sometimes it seems that some of the programs take a bigger chunk than would seem fair out of budgets at the expense of other worthwhile programs.

+1 ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

We had to take a mandatory hunter safety course when I was in eighth grade. We didn't handle any firearms, but the class was still very practical. I learned a lot more about various types of guns in that class than during my time in the Army/Army Reserves. I had been shooting for several years by the time I took the hunter safety course.

What was your MOS?:S

I have also taken a HSC and it was a very well structured and informed lesson.

I did not have to take it but chose to so I could hunt in one State Park.

The instructor knew me and asked many times for my input.

Some of the things were first aid and navigation, survival and protection from the elements.

No kidding.:D

NRA already has the Eddie the Eagle program, which teaches kids to leave guns alone, leave the area, and tell an adult. I would certainly volunteer several hours a week to teach gun safety to kids. Using dummy firearms, I could teach a fairly good, basic class in 30 minutes, including hands-on time. With permission slips from the parents, maybe even a little range time in the evening with .22 rifles.B|

I would volunteer as well, and no I would not teach fire team tactics.:P Kids who know how to handle firearms have a much greater chance of never having an accident with a firearm.

The kids that learn all they know from TV and Movies are most likely to kill someone by accident.

>I don't remember any of us or instructors shooting our selves when
>we learned how to shoot as elementary school students in Cub Scouts and
>Boy Scouts.

Perhaps the absence of government officials was the key there!

If the NRA got volunteers (I think I saw one just a few posts back) to do the teaching, you wouldn't have any government officials. And no government expenditures, either. It's a win-win-win situation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com